Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Getting Ready For A Detox

Since beginning my transition to a Raw lifestyle of vibrant foods that are full of color, nutrition, and health I decided to partake in a seven day detox. Actually this decision came almost five days ago when I was perusing several blogs on Raw eating. I stumbled upon The Raw Divas blog (they also have a website called The Raw Divas.com) and saw that they offer a 7 Day Diva Detox at totally no charge.

I'm not so hot on the title 'diva' since that word has pagan origins and referred to the lowest deities in mythology. Also it was used for the female opera singers. What is the connection there? In American culture it refers to a beautiful woman. Anyway, I have a few misgivings about the title because of the origin of the word.

Back to the 7 day detox...
Excited I clicked on the link that said "Click here to get started..." and so I made the decision to do a seven day detox. But, I wanted someone to do the detox with. I immediately thought of one of my sisters and my mother who live North of me by a number of miles, and called them up. After some talking I was reminded that my sister was breastfeeding and that she could not do a detox. To do a detox while breastfeeding would put the baby at risk since toxins are excreted through human milk when detoxing. So she was out, just like that. My mother was in though, and for the last four days we have been touching base morning and evening, planning what foods we fruits and veggies we will be eating during the detox and how we will stay motivated and make it through the seven days. The detox starts tomorrow evening. We will have a final meal around 6pm and then survive on water until the following day when we will have our break the fast meal at around 6pm.

I'm super excited to do this detox for a number of reasons.

1. To get healthy for a future pregnancy, by getting rid of some toxins from the foods I have eaten over the last year and longer than that. I hope and pray that G-d blesses me with a child.

2. I have been going through some cravings for food. I know that most of these cravings are emotional, or habitual. There is nothing like a good seven day or longer detox to get these issues under control! In regards to habits. It is getting easier and easier to eat Raw throughout the day, but I still suffer set backs when I am headed home. One of my habits was to stop at the Whole Foods on the way home and grab a snack, like a Rice Dream Ice Cream or Sweet Chai Tea (kind of like a latte but tea). Then when I got home I would have a meal if I was still hungry. Then I cook my husband's dinner. By the time he gets home to eat, I normally sit with him, and I end up having some of what he's having just to share a meal with him once a day.

We don't eat meals together except on Shabbat because our schedules tend to be so different.
I get up and cook his breakfast, make our green juice, prepare his lunch for later, and my food for the day at work. I leave at 8am in the morning and he eats after I leave. I drink my juice on the way to work, and eat the rest of my food throughout the day while at work. My husband and I both get home at different times. Normally I am home between 5pm and 6pm and he is home after 7:30 or later and even though I have the food sitting in the oven he might not eat until 9pm. So, I really need to change my habits. Eating so late is not good for me, and part of this detox requires that my last meal be at 6pm every evening.

Another habit? Whenever I am bored I go to the kitchen and peruse the cabinets. If I find something interesting I will eat it. Not good.
I used to have a better handle on my habits and emotional eating but over the past year I have let that self control slide. As a believer a fruit of the Ru'ach (Holy Spirit) is self-control, so I have it. I just have to use it.

Doing a detox is the perfect way to get back on track.


Another detox that I would like to attempt is a
Six Week Detox that The Raw Divas offer. It is put together by Dr. Ritamarie Loscalzo who, along with being a Chiropractor, a nutrition expert that resides as a diplomat of the American Clinical Nutrition Board, and a nutritionist, is a mother! How great is that?


So how am I preparing?

Well, I have limited the amounts of cooked and salty foods I eat. I have researched which plants aid most in detoxing.
Turns out apples, parsley, artichoke, asparagus, ginger, garlic, dandelion, and cruciferous veggies such as broccoli, cauliflower and cabbage all aid in detoxing. In addition fennel, lemon, kale, and other leafy veggies all help the body get rid of toxins naturally.

As I wrote above, my mother and I have been talking constantly. She is sounding more and more excited herself and I am enjoying doing this with her.

I miss my mother. Its so nice to be able to do something together.

No comments:

Post a Comment