This morning I made a decision to eat raw throughout the entire day.
It is currently 7:55pm, and except for a few minor slips I have done quite well, so far.
Today for breakfast I had Sarma's Cilantro Shake (I have one of these almost every morning!!!)
Upon arriving to work I thought I was going to have a wonderful morning with the boys. And for the most part I did, but it was extremely challenging.
I have used the word NO! today more times than I can count. At least 100.
Getting the boys dressed today before their breakfast was almost difficult. They were not cooperating in the least and both wanted to do something other than put clothes on. That something other was play or touch the radio which they are not supposed to touch! They are really quite funny. Before touching or attempting to touch the radio they will look at me with a very sneaky look and a grin that says, ha ha - bet you won't do anything. I honestly don't want to reprimand them but do it because I recognize their lack of obedience is a challenge to my authority.
After about ten minutes I finally managed to get the boys dressed but the oldest twin was still without socks when I put them in their high chairs for breakfast.
After a very messy breakfast (the boys like to try and feed themselves) the boys tested me to the limits by taking turns running over to the stove (another thing they are NOT supposed to touch) only to have me chase them away. I was trying to wash dishes and clean up the breakfast mess at this point and finally I picked them up and put them into their pen to keep them away from the stove. The boys are fairly tall now and it wouldn't be hard for them to turn a burner on (they have turned one on at least once before) and reach up to the front burner and burn their little hands. They are also extremely smart - as evidenced by their teaming up to test me with the stove.
We went on a walk after Breakfast and made our way to a Farmer's Market in downtown Portland around PSU. Sorry to not be more exact but I don't remember the street names.
It was completely dreadful when we went out as it was raining yet again! Will we ever get a break from all this rain. Actually I looked at the weather and we are supposed to have a better day tomorrow. That would be so nice.
The market was wonderful, and they had beautiful fruits, vegetables, herbs, plants, honey, baked goods and goat's cheese! Mnnnnn.... I bought a Mt Hood Strawberry plant that has two red strawberries on it and now I have to figure out where I am to plant it. Next I bought some carrots with tops still intact, a vine ripened beefsteak tomato that smells like a tomato! and strawberries. I also bought some peacock kale which is quite different, and some golden swiss chard. I've never seen peacock kale before and absolutely didn't know that this variety of kale existed. Next I bought some goat's cheese called Chevantal from Deer Creek Farms in Woodland, Washington, and some chipotle pesto flavored chevre cheese. Absolutely delicious! Lastly, I stopped and bought some beautiful bright red strawberries. And they were sooo much better than what I buy in the stores. It had been a while since I had eaten vine ripened strawberries and I had forgotten they were so good. I have decided to like strawberries again. Normally strawberries are not a berry that I consider buying very often, just because they don't taste that great to me. They are good, but not great.
Here's a picture of peacock kale
The boys and I headed back to the house for lunch. They had lentils, cottage cheese, tomatoes from my pico de gallo, and broccoli and mushrooms from my salad. Oh yes, and the chevre cheese. They absolutely loved the cheese! They don't mind a little spice, and aren't picky eaters, as evidenced by the fact that they want to eat what I have brought for my lunch in addition to their own.
After lunch the boys had a wonderfully long nap and woke up in a much better mood. Once they had eaten their afternoon snack we took the elevator to the basement, and then I had them climb the stairs to the top floor (seven flights!) just to make sure they used up some more energy. The youngest was so cute. After each flight of stairs he would point upwards at the next flight of stairs in front of him and make some noises and give me a questioning look. He was delighted each time I told him, "Yep, more stairs! Keep going! What a good boy!" He would make some adorable giggling noises and commence up the next flight.
After the fifth flight of stairs the oldest boy tired out somewhat, and would stop in the middle of the flight of stairs to rest for a few minutes. I would be standing behind him coaxing him to continue and eventually he would. Once we reached the top of the building he wanted to investigate what was behind the door (that led to the inside of the building) and so we did. After conducting a thorough investigation of both the inside and the outside roof (it is fenced in) we took the elevator back down to the floor their apartment is on. Whew. I then had to get them ready for yet another walk with their parents so they will have used up a lot of energy and should sleep great!
Before returning home I had to stop at Whole Foods to pick up some limes, a lemon and some mangos for my juicing tomorrow. In addition to Sarma's cilantro shake that I drink in the morning, I am now drinking a carrot, mango, banana and apple shake with maca as an afternoon snack. Its really good. I'll be sure to post the ingredients before I am done with this post. While there I picked up a Raw Vanilla Bar by Happy Day Raw Food. It was so good that I decided to make my own variation when I got home as a treat at the end of the day for doing good on my Raw Food Diet.
I finally returned home to see that the sink was full of dishes and that plumbing needed to be done. Fortunately my husband had gone to Home Depot and got home soon after I did to work on it. But, in the meantime I put together a salad using the peacock kale and swiss chard that I had bought. Another great salad.
Oh, and I tasted the Chevantal cheese that I had bought. Delicious! It was very rich. Definitely something that I want to eat sparingly and as a treat. I can't wait till we are able to get goats! It would be great to make our own cheese. Mnnnnn....
So did I manage to eat completely raw today. Like I posted at the beginning of the post, I had a few slips, but here is what I did eat today.
Breakfast: Sarma's Cilantro Shake
Lunch: Pico de Gallo (why do they call it that?), a Salad and a few bits of Chevre cheese (a minor slip).
Snack: Carrot Mango Banana Shake
Just because: Two melba toast crackers (another minor slip)
On the way home: A Raw Vanilla Bar (I posted my variation below)
Dinner: Kale and Golden Swiss Chard Salad with veggies
Dessert: Strawberries and my own raw vanilla bars (frozen in ice cube trays)
Carrot Mango Banana Shake
You will need...
1 apple
8 carrots
1 lemon
1 Champagne mango
1 Banana
1 Tablespoon Maca Powder
Optional: 1/2 inch piece ginger, 1 pinch cinnamon and nutmeg
Juice apple, carrots and lemon. Set aside.
Process the banana, mango, maca powder (ginger and cinnamon if using) until smooth and then add the apple, carrot and lemon juice.
Enjoy!
My Raw Vanilla Bars
You will need...
1 young coconut
1/2 cup shredded coconut
2 tablespoon raw honey
1 vanilla bean
2 tablespoon coconut oil
Open the young coconut and put the coconut liquid in a glass. Set aside.
Scoop out the coconut meat and place in the food processor along with the vanilla bean and honey. Process until vanilla bean is almost completely chopped up. Whatever large pieces remain of the vanilla bean take out of the mixture. There will be lovely black specks (seeds from the vanilla bean) scattered throughout your coconut mixture. Next melt the coconut oil gently without it getting too hot and pour into mixture inside of processor, along with shredded coconut. Process until thoroughly mixed. Finally, slowly add the coconut juice and process a little longer.
Pour into an ice cube tray, and freeze for about thirty minutes. Enjoy!

No comments:
Post a Comment