Sunday, May 23, 2010

Day 8 - Hag Shavuot Samae'ach!

Shalom and Hag Samae'ach.

This morning is off to a fabulous start.
I slept in... because I could today!
And just finished a yummy cilantro shake.
I modified Sarma's Cilantro Shake by adding
a small handful of kale, two stalks of celery (which I juiced), omitting the cinnamon, salt and vanilla extract, and substituting raw honey in place of the agave or stevia.
Yummy!
It made just enough for both my husband and I to have a 10oz glass each.
Can I say Yummy! again?
There's a lot of information coming out about agave syrup not being the hyped up good stuff that some people have been promoting. I for one did use it but didn't really care for it all that much. The consistency and taste seemed just a little weak and I would rather have done without. However, I really couldn't put my finger on why I didn't care for it. Mixed into shakes and foods I didn't notice it's odd taste and consistency and so I kept using it because it was supposed to be sooooo good for you. Then Paul Nison put out a video about agave NOT being good for you and I am so thankful that I watched that video. Paul Nison isn't the only one who talks about agave not being good and I am grateful that these leaders in raw food stepped up and spoke out about agave. Click here to listen to Paul talk about agave, teeth decay, and cacao.
Agave raises the blood sugar level pretty fast and reacts much like corn syrup does with your body. Diabetics should NOT consume agave.

I'll add more to this post a little bit later. Right now I have to get ready to head out for the Shavuot meeting.

8 comments:

  1. Shabbat Shalom. I'm happy to see you eat raw. We (my wife and I with 4 children) are vegan. We are striving for a more raw food diet; as it is the very best. We have a 16 yr old who want to do midwifery/ doula. Her blog is called growing in Him. If you'd like; please check her site as I'm sure you would have some helpful insights for her.

    shalom In Messiah

    I've chosen to become a follower of your blog. Please do not feel obligated to become a follower of mine. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shalom Yuri!

    Thank you so much for your comment! And as far as me eating raw, oh dear. I am trying. I have my slip ups here and there, but my goal is to eat mostly raw, with some raw goat milk, and cheeses sometimes too.
    So I'm not a vegan, but I think its great that you and your family are!
    I will gladly check out your daughter's blog. How wonderful that she wants to pursue midwifery/doula'ing. Its such a blessing to help with births and witness them.

    Thank you again for your comment!

    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sarah,

    Our second oldest is named Sara (without the h). Where did you get the idea of going raw? Does our husband have a blog? Also the title Eden's (our 16yr old) is Heirs of Promise. We are also happy to see that you are Jewish? We really need you guys to help repair the Breach in YHWH'S Torah (i.e. Shabbat, Feasts, Hebrew etc.) I do business with a civil engineer living here in Bermuda who is from Oregon.

    We current live at a resort. Go to my blog called By The Sea Once More; and at the bottom you'll see the photos. Maybe you two can come out here on vacation sometime.

    Shalom In Messiah

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yuri,

    Yes, Repairing the Breach is of utmost importance. Not just amongst each other but within ourselves as well. There is a phrase that some rabbi said (I don't remember which one) regarding breaches. He said, "The breach invites the thief." We know that the thief is the devil, who came not but to kill steal and destroy. Breaches happen in our lives because of disobedience - Submit yourself to Elohim, resist the devil and he will flee from you. Rebuilding the walls that have been breached because of disobedience is so very important. And then of course, there are the challenges amongst the believers in Yeshua, as well as the challenges amongst Yehudim. We have a website - it is www.repairersofthebreach.us

    What an absolutely amazing place to live! I looked at the pictures - simply breathtaking.
    It would be lovely to vacation there. If we do I'll be sure to let you know.
    I subscribed to your blog. I liked what I read although and appreciate that you are writing about Yeshua.
    As far as why gave me the idea to go Raw.
    Well... The first time I did it was a challenge to see if I could do it for 30 days. I did, (not 100%, but close)and I felt marvelous. I stopped though. Recently, I decided to go back to Raw again mostly because of how I felt when eating that way. In the past year that I have not eaten raw, I developed very very very dry skin and would get extremely tired in the afternoons, and lacked energy.
    I don't have a problem with eating animals, or eating cheese, or milk (raw goat milk is the best!) so I can't say that I am doing it because of animal concern. I recognize eating Raw as a better way for me, a much healthier way.
    I am not 100% Raw, and I still have my slip ups - but those slip ups are starting to taste more and more bland next to the fresh raw fruits and veggies I have been consuming so much of lately. Will I end up being 100% Raw? Only time will tell.

    Eden is such a beautiful name for your daughter. I was thinking earlier today that if I was to ever have a daughter (no children right now) I would love to name her Eden. How coincidental!

    My husband does not have a blog at this time. He might be starting one. We'll see.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sarah,

    Shabbat Shalom to and your husband. My wife was the one who decided on that name. Yeah, that is very interesting to have thought of that today of all days. Well, we don't need to be concerned of that name being copyrighted. :)One reason I asked you about your Raw diet is that in the Christian churches there is a movement away from meat and dairy. This movement is explained at http://www.hacres.com/home I think that if you feel better by eating raw then good. It certainly won't hurt.

    If you two come out here I think you'll really like it .However, with most everything else, the grass looks greener on the other side. It is very expensive here.Once I finish this comment I'll check out your website.You quoted a verse of Scripture that I try and quote daily. I think it is in James 4:8...Yes I just checked it. I've never thought of the beach quite that way. interesting.thanks for that thought.

    Now I'm off to your website. Shal

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just finished reading from our website. I certainly agree with your husband in the post entitled 'WE BELIEVE IN DOING THE WORD'. My wife and I have been home educating our children and worshiping with them for 16yrs now.

    We pray that YHWH will bless your efforts with 100% success in our ministry there; and that He will add to you such as should be saved. amein.

    How do you conduct Hebrew teaching classes? Is it done online?

    Shabbat Shalom.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hebrew lessons:
    I teach out of my home either over the internet or one on one with the students who can come to my home.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hebrew lessons:

    What are your rates? and what times is best for you? do you use the PC over Shabbat? Is the internet classes live? or do you have a e- work book that you use?

    ReplyDelete